MIDCOAST —  Governor Paul LePage held a press conference as he toured Phippsburg, thanking crews from New York who were in town repairing damage on Wednesday. Crews from across New England were hard at work most of the day to get power back online.

The sounds of chainsaws and generators filled the air as residents continued cleaning up after powerful winds toppled trees and knocked out power around Maine.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Central Maine Power was still reporting over 13,500 people were without power in Sagadahoc County, and over 14,000 were without power in Lincoln County.

While the numbers statewide had reduced significantly since the total of almost half-a-million people, CMP was still estimating many people would have to wait until late Friday at the earliest before their power would be restored.

After three days without power, many residents were visiting local businesses and organizations that still had power  to charge phones and get showers.

At the Bath Area Family YMCA, hundreds of nonmembers came in for a warm shower, which the Y offered free of charge.

“We’ve also set up some new charging stations,” said Deb Young, membership coordinator at the YMCA. Dozens of people were sitting around the lobby catching up on work.

Young said over 300 nonmembers had already come in for showers, and she’s expecting that number to increase as the outage continues.

Steve Brackett, owner of Brackett’s Market in Bath, has been opening up the lobby to anyone who needs to charge phones or use WiFi. “We’ve had well over 1,000 people a day. We’ve been very busy,” he said.

Brackett’s electricity was coming from a large generator outside, which the store purchased after a power outage over a decade ago. Brackett said that purchase was saving thousands of dollars in perishable goods, and allowing the store to stay open.

“I’m very glad we’re able to be here,” said Brackett. “We’re glad to be helping out.”

The biggest sellers of the past few days, he said, have been coffee, donuts, and tea.

Lisa Klop was in the lobby Wednesday morning getting work done. A Brunswick resident, she said her yard is full of toppled trees.

“We’ve had 11 trees down on my property,” she said.

The trees destroyed her fence, but thankfully hadn’t touched the house. “I looked out the window and said, ‘oh my god.’ Then I looked out the next one and said the same thing. Every window had something disastrous to show me.”

Some areas were hit harder than others. In North Bath, dozens of trees knocked out power lines, transformers, and poles. Entire sections of some woodlands were toppled.

Susan Hummer was busy raking up sawdust from a large oak tree that had fallen in her front yard on Varney Mill Road. The tree, well over 100 years old, fell within inches of her house. The only damage was a bent gutter and a torn window screen.

“It was quite shocking to see it before it was cut up,” said Hummer. She said her husband and neighbor worked on it most of the day Monday. “I’m so grateful it didn’t hit the house.”

Just down the road from Hummer, Mike Thompson was having an impromptu barbecue after cleaning up the multiple large trees that had fallen in his yard. One tree fell within feet of his house, and another had fallen right on top of his truck. Miraculously, all his truck received was a few dings.

“It was like there was a force field around it, I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “It’s like winning the Megabucks twice.”

Thompson’s Monday morning was more eventful than most. His wife, Kara, had been on a list to receive a kidney transplant for months. At 2 a.m. Monday morning, they got a phone call: A match had been found and a kidney was available that night.

“In the middle of all this storm, she got a kidney transplant,” he said. “Just as this storm was ramping up we were driving down.”

His wife, he said, is recovering well.

Over in West Bath, some sections of Quaker Point looked as if a bomb had gone off. Margaret and Richard Totten were busy chainsawing dozens of trees that had fallen across the road and throughout their property. Margaret estimated around 50 trees had fallen in one section of the woods.

Just across the street, Marc Horey had recently finished patching up a hole in their roof. “We had four trees on the house,” he said.