WESTPORT ISLAND — The Westport Island History Committee and the Town of Westport Island will host a tour of historic homes on Sunday, Sept. 16. The tour runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and begins at the Old Town Hall. 

Featured on the tour will be Georgian, Federal and Greek Revival homes with original period details, in addition to family cemeteries, mills, wharfs and barns.

The tour costs $20. A light lunch is included. 

According to the town’s history committee, the houses selected for this year’s tour are all associated with the families of settlers who first made Westport their home in the 18th century. These farmhouses were built along stylistic rules, proportions and materials similar to those found all over New England. They are no-nonsense, practical structures made to endure in the face of the elements. 

The properties also have features such as stone walls, barns and other outbuildings, mills, wharfs and waterfront structures such as chandleries — stores for supplies and foodstuffs. 

Eleven-mile long Westport Island lies just south of Wiscasset, surrounded by the Sheepscot, Sasanoa and Back Rivers. Known as Jeremysquam from around 1605, the island served as a trading place for local settlers and Native Americans in colonial times. But few traces remain of its earliest inhabitants, aside from some arrowheads, tools and shell middens. 

The island’s first land divisions were made in the 1750s, and early maps dating to 1772 and 1776 show clusters of farm buildings and property boundaries. Many of the founding families are still represented on the island by their descendants, in the 71 documented family cemeteries and through and land records identifying homesteads, commercial occupations and ways of life. 

For more information, call 882-8477, ext. 3.